COLORADO SPRINGS — The patron who tackled a gunman inside a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs on Saturday night prevented a deadly shooting from being far worse, the club’s owners said on Sunday.

“He saved dozens and dozens of lives,” One of the owners Club Q, Matthew Haynes, spoke at a vigil. “Stopped the man cold. Everyone else was running away, and he ran toward him.”

Mr. Haynes and the club’s other owner, Nic Grzecka, said they had reviewed surveillance video that showed the gunman enter the building and immediately begin firing. They claimed that customers and staff were among the five victims and more than two-dozen others wounded.

According to Mr. Grzecka, the shooting lasted less than two minutes. A patron subdued and one helped the gunman down. He stated that police arrived around three minutes later.

“I don’t even know the names of these people,” Mr. Grzecka said. “But what they did is incredible.”

Mayor John Suthers Colorado Springs The gunman was subdued by a person who grabbed his handgun and hit him with it. “It was quite something,” Suthers, The New York Times in An interview by phone “It happened quite quickly.”

Mr. Haynes said Club Q was aware of an active shooter protocol. He said it was effective. “followed to the letter.” They said that the two owners arrived on the spot shortly after the shooting had ended.

Both would be described. in Detail what they saw. “It was a crime scene,” But, Mr. Haynes added that he had noticed people helping each other. in These are the first moments.

“There were lots of mini-heroes who were taking people home, making sure people were safe,” Mr. Haynes said.

Inside the crowd Club Q was smaller on Saturday night than usual, Mr. Haynes stated, due to the colder weather that had just set in.

“We were moderate to light,” Mr. Haynes said. “We were very fortunate we did not have our usual Saturday night crowd last night.”

Recordings from surveillance cameras inside the club have been turned over to investigators, and the club’s owners have scoured their records to see if the man who has been identified by police as the suspect had ever visited the club.

“To our knowledge, he has not entered our building before,” Mr. Haynes said.

Jack Healy Contributed reporting