The United States men’s soccer team may be forced to navigate much of the coming year, including a series of competitive matches, without a full-time head coach after the departure on The already in turmoil organization was further thrown into chaos by two of its top leaders on Thursday
U.S. Soccer Announcement an investigation into the personal conduct Gregg Berhalter, who coached the American men to a successful run at the World Cup late last year, after accusations from a disgruntled player’s parents that he physically abused his wife in a decades-old incident.
They announced that they would keep the doors open. on Deciding whether or not to retain Berhalter — whose contract expired at the end of 2022 — for another World Cup cycle until the independent investigation reached a conclusion. The team was eager to continue the momentum from the World Cup in Qatar, and to begin preparations for 2026, the United States co-hosting. These events were anticipated to take place in a relatively short time.
Cindy Parlow Cone Cone, president of U.S. SoccerAccording to her, the organisation will employ an outside consultancy firm to review its whole team structure. She said that the new developments meant that the team might be without a coach and sporting director until the end. BerhalterShe said that the truth remained. “a candidate” to coach the national team, but the loss of two key decision makers and the end of his contract — with no end in sight for the investigation — almost certainly will mean the end of his tenure. U.S. Soccer Spokesman confirms that Berhalter “is no longer a U.S. Soccer employee.”
“We did not plan it this way,” Cone stated this Thursday. “We find ourselves in this position, and we’re going to take the opportunity to really do a deep dive on our sporting side to make sure we’re as effective and as efficient as possible, because we have grand vision of where we want to go on the sporting side, and we want to make sure we’re in the best position to accomplish those goals.”
Stewart is moving to the Netherlands and will be working for PSV Eindhoven until February. McBride is expected to leave the organization at the close of February. These men are former players on the national team and were once teammates. Berhalter.
Cone claimed that these departures had nothing to do with the ongoing investigation. BerhalterThe ensuing conversation was initiated by Danielle Reyna who is the mother of star wing Gio Reyna. Berhalter Had hit his wife in an accident in 1991 while they were both in college.
Reyna was upset with his parents. Berhalter The player was not allowed to play for long on the field in the World Cup in Qatar, and that he had made thinly veiled comments about Reyna’s poor attitude — without identifying him — in a speaking engagement after the tournament. (Reyna’s father, Claudio, another former teammate of Berhalter’s, resigned on Thursday was my day as M.L.S.’s sporting director. Austin F.C. and said he’d transition to an advisory role.)
“Gregg remains a candidate,” Cone stated of Berhalter’s status. Elle added: “Ultimately the new sporting director will be tasked with hiring the men’s national team coach.”
Cone said it was possible that the team would move forward without a general manager after the review of the organization’s structure by Sportsology Group, a sports consulting company. Cone acknowledged that the review took time and could cause uncertainty. “for our staff, for players,” She viewed it as an opportunity.
“What it actually is,” Sie said that “is a clean canvas.”
Anthony Hudson, the interim coach of the United States team, is leading it at this time. The team is in the middle of an international training camp which ends this Saturday when they play against Colombia. It lost to Serbia by a score of 2-1. on Wednesday night.) In March, the team will resume playing competitive matches with two games in the CONCACAF Nations League, a regional tournament that serves as a qualifier for this summer’s Gold Cup.